Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hurricane--Sister's Visit---Letterboxing

If you become a "follower" I will be encouraged:

Here's a short video of trees swaying during hurricane Irene (not very impressive!) :


  After the hurricane I checked on a letterbox near me. The Peace Pilgrim box is intact after Irene and several new signers or stampers have been added including the Peace Pilgrim's sister, Helen Young. Although our town has commemorative activities for Peace Pilgrim at this time of year I have not participated but this does not diminish my fondness of her ideals. So I feel honored that in a way I have her blessings.  My daughter carved the master piece for the Peace Pilgrim stamp.  Check out this site for clues for the Peace Pilgrim's Letterbox and more information.
http://www.atlasquest.com/




 



  I lost power during hurricane Irene that includes most of the time that I had my youngest sister visiting from Charlotte, North Carolina. During the storm we took off around four heading for Hammonton to visit our sister Roe. Started to think we made a mistake as we got to Hammonton but we decided to eat at Joe Italiano's Maplewood Inn. Fearless and hungry patrons packed the popular restaurant that serves homemade linguine. After dinner the storm eased up so we were able to visit our sister. I am having trouble remembering the timeline for the activities during my sister's visit but here is a bit of a summary:

  • visited nursing home where Roy resides and was being evacuated. It brought tears to my eyes to see the line-up of ambulances and bedridden residents being moved out.
  • my sister talked to staff members at the home where she once worked.
  • lost power in a storm that seem rather innocuous in the end.
  • spent about an hour in the cellar waiting for the tornado alert to be over.
  • walked in the woods around my house and saw a hawk and a pair of killdeer.
  • spent an hour at Ulta beauty store and tried on make-up and perfume.
  • introduced my sister to my favorite store --the Christmas Tree Store.
  • went to Wildwood and spent the day before the hurricane walking the Boardwalk there.
  • went home on the Parkway and was enmeshed with the traffic of those who were evacuating the barrier islands
  • my sister took Rose, the cat, to the vet for an emergency visit for a collar problem that I won't explain here
  • neighbor allowed us to use an extension cord to get power from them to run the freezer but upon the return of the power service I forgot to plug the freezer back into the wall outlet
  • had two visits with our father at the assisted living home and watched a good deal of the Phillie's game
  • We took dad for a ride when my sister went shopping at the famous quonset hut "Ideal" clothing store. Judi wearing her newly purchased jacket from Ideal:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut





          I cooked scrambled eggs in an electric frying pan on the garage floor.


    • We did not visit our sister Linda because she was in England, specifically Wales.  She was visiting our niece who had an engagement party. She plans to marry a Welsh young man named Samuel. He recently proposed to her on a trip back to Italy where she had met him while spending a semester abroad.
    • We got to see Marisa, our niece and Vince and David, our nephews
    • We talked to our mother's brother, Uncle Billy.  Almost got on the ferry to visit him in Delaware.
    • got introduced to some very interesting beach reading by Margaret Mead (after some research I think it was Margaret Meade's mother, a sociologist also), the famous sociologist.  I still have to check on the name of the little book.  It does contain some remarks about early Italian immigrants in Hammonton, New Jersey that are a bit derogatory.
               http://marie.bravepages.com/ischam.htm
    • made a pre-emptive strike against my gutter system and possible flooding of my basement.  My new gutters were channeling water against my foundation  and I was seeing some moisture in the cellar.  My contractor added pipe extension to the ends of the gutters and installed a sump pump.  I did not consider that the pump would not work if there was a power failure. Luckily the reworking of the gutter outlets was enough of a solution for my problem. 


    Lone grave from 1785 near my home:



    Irene's minor damage here:



    Neighbor's ducks and geese enjoyed the rising water:


    No comments:

    Post a Comment