Monday, November 7, 2011

Dog Memorial in the Woods

  Went shopping again to the Christmas Tree Store. Although first we went to a wonderful hair stylist at JC Penny's in Hamilton Township. My nephew David is getting his senior year high school photos.

    The store was "Christmas" crowded. I only bought one of those red Nordic designed knitted hats with the flaps and the braids that most of the young people let dangle. For 2.99 you can't beat. It is fully lined with a smooth fleece. I remember back in my skiing days you couldn't buy a warm hat like that for under 30 dollars but I guess they were made of wool.










  So when you go to this shopping center from our way, Hammonton and Egg Harbor City, we often use Aloe Street and along that road, secluded in a special place is one of those weird New Jersey features.  Unless you know where it is you probably will miss it but it is visible somewhat from the road.  David and I got out and walked up the trail and found a huge tomb with a stone in front that said Rover and I had trouble reading it but I believe it was from the 1800's.  There is an aging statue of the dog on top.  I did not stay and record the date because I thought surely with the right words placed in a search engine there had to be something written about this site.  I gave up after an hour of research.  I will have to go back and again check out the year and the owner's name.------went back today and tried to do a pencil rubbing but that wasn't working.  The only additional information is that it says in memory of Rover and the tomb looks over a hundred years old but I think it says 1935.






This memorial is very close to the train tracks that run between Philly and Atlantic City.



Later that night, David showed me the upgrades that he made to Roy's old bow.  It is good that he is able to pick up this sport without close family members that are able to help him.  Also the lack of deer habitat is more limited every year around here but he is lucky that he has access to land out near Winslow/Waterford area.

 Actually this gull was from our last trip to the Christmas Tree store. I believe it to be a young gull because of the speckled coloration on its head.  It would not move even if a car came within a foot of it.  It was not injured---guess it just didn't want to waste energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment