Wednesday, June 13, 2012

So I am late with my Memorial Day photos!

     I had been trying to keep my focus on the meaning of Memorial Day.  It hasn't been that long since we laid our father to rest with the flag on his coffin and the short military ceremony.  So I finally decided to post a few photos.  What makes it difficult is that I live in a section of town that is physically quite removed from the main part of town.  So when we have festivities right in town you sometimes feel you are visiting a neighboring community.  So with the new housing development in our area, property tax-abatement plan, and the protests that have been raised, it makes me feel just a bit more of an outsider. Even when they published last year's local phone book they used a map that leaves our section of town off.  Terms like the "Gold Coast" and "Egg Harbor City North" do nothing to help lessen this schism.  No one on the local council is from our area but they all voted for this so-called rehabilitation project. You can't help feeling that this is what "they" did to "us."  Despite those ever constant negative feelings, I managed to enjoy the celebration. Some of the shots were taken in Lincoln Park where several speeches were made. Also you could view children's artwork and other mementos. This following shot was from my father's funeral this year:

 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment