Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Procession of Saints

Once again I visited my home town of Hammonton, NJ for a very special festival on July 16th, 2015.  The town is so unique especially because of the high percentage that claim Italian heritage and the fact the blueberry farming plays a huge part of its identity.  In the last 60 years the town has seen the decline of the clothing industry, and the closing of a large pharmaceutical company and the local community hospital.  I have written about this festival before:

 

http://sixty-fourandcounting-philly.blogspot.com/2012/09/italian-festival-hammonton-2012.html



So I have not much to add except the photos are from July 16, 2015.


I went alone to view the procession on Bellevue Avenue along the business district.  One delightful incident involved a relative that I never met.  A young handsome man on a bike stopped and asked me if there was going to be live music.  I was not sure of what he meant and I told him no.  Then I called out to him as he was riding away that I was wrong and he returned on his bike and I explained that they do have a marching band that played traditional Italian band music.  I can not remember how it happened but he mentioned his grandmother Helen Bartmer.   So I told him if that is your grandmother than you are a relative of mine because Helen is my first cousin.   So I explained to him what branch of the family I was and explained how my mother lived near his grandmother.   It was a such a sweet encounter.  I am so sorry that I let him leave without getting a photo of him.







 

Lots of changes in this church since I was a grammar school student.   I did not go to the local Catholic school but this is the church where I was baptized, received First Holy Communion and was confirmed there as well.  By the time I was to be married the community had two other Catholic churches in the community.   The above church was the original local parish that hosted the procession of saints.  They replaced a very ornate old style building and altar with a much more austere looking modern church which did not appeal to me. The best thing I will say is that they continued this old Italian festival along with the procession. 



  






 














 A member of the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Society that is the organizer of the festival and procession.   Parade participants make the donations to the society.  The society gives out a small felt backed scapula.








I found this man enjoying his hula-hoop before the start of the parade.

Notable town officials join the priests in the procession.















 





 

This man is carding the people wanting to enter the beer garden.





Me, my sister Betty, and her friend Joanne


  





 








The President of the Society, Louis Pantelone sings "Sweet Caroline".   He is so talented and brings the whole festival to life.  Although the festival has declined in some ways it is such a delight to see old friends and shirt-tail relatives greet each other on the streets.  Every year the little reunions seem to be the best part of the whole event.  It will be a very sad day if this town ever loses its historic Italian festival.




 












 


No comments:

Post a Comment