Thursday, April 12, 2012

Springtime in the Pines

    I am still grieving the loss of the woodlands behind my house.  So now instead of walking a few steps to wilderness I have to drive about a mile down the road to the lake area.  I once took a day course with a biology professor from Glassboro State College now know as Rowan University.  We stopped at several sites in the Pine Barrens:  cemeteries, pygmy pine forest, the remains of old settlements, Oswego Lake and then a surprise stop.  We stopped at the Egg Harbor City Lake that is within walking distance of my house.  I was able to see the area with new eyes.  You would have thought that he had a house on the lake for how he went on about the area.  As we surveyed the more isolated part of the lake we observed cedar trees, turtles, the tea-colored water, and the birds.  The professor spotted a Great Blue Heron's nest of all things!  I have since gone back to see if I could find another roosting heron but never had any luck.

Lone Canada Goose on the Egg Harbor City Lake:




Rustic Cottage---Picture Perfect :



Unpaved Road


Daffodils are now replaced by mountain pink phlox:


Needed to research the following image.

Ok, I will say that this is sassafras--extremely common in our woods and I am shocked that I did not recognize it.  I even have this in my yard!


Another one that I have to research.

      Edit--- after my research:  This one is the invasive species of Japanese Honeysuckle.  I did an image search and had a very hard time identifying it because these lobed leaves are only common in early spring later leaves will not have this lobed effect as much.


Woodpecker nest hole!  This one is in use and I am
 happy that the developer did not get this one!!






No comments:

Post a Comment