Monday, December 24, 2012

Holiday Lobster Dinner

 

  Since my son will be working Christmas Day we got together for a  lobster and dungenous crab dinner that he made.  For dessert we enjoyed  goodies that he purchased at the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia.

 

 Here is a description from their website:

 

 

The Reading Terminal Market, established in 1892 at 12th and Arch Streets, is the nation’s oldest continuously operating farmers’ market. Through its long and interesting history , it has seen times both good and bad, but has emerged in the 21st century as one of the greatest public markets in the country.
When you visit the market, you can enjoy eating virtually every type of cuisine, from sublime soul food and exquisite Asian and Middle Eastern dishes to authentic Philly Cheesesteaks and traditional Pennsylvania Dutch fare — all available from largely family-run stands.





We had planned to visit the historic section of Pitman that features the Haggerty's spin of Christmas decorating but we decided to nix the idea.  Anyway I did a blog on that last year:

http://sixty-fourandcounting-philly.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-in-pitman-new-jersey.html


So I took a couple of photos of my son and his window lights:

 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 

 

I prefer to take Winslow Road from Williamstown, NJ to a section outside of Hammonton called Rosedale and there along the road I found a Christmas display that caught my eye.  It probably was a farmer from the area.  I will have to re-post when I can give a name of the owner but for now I will share the photos.  It had about 10 displays made up of individual little houses and a chapel.  People drive along and peer into the windows for a short tour of someone's idea of delighting the young and old alike:

 

 
 
 



 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 

 

 

I guess there was something very old-fashioned about this display and it reminded me very much of the displays in Pitman.  These days,  this type of decorating probably won't even make the local news because there are no flashing, twinkling, or chasing lights. Even more so the displays that get featured now are those that are hooked up to computers and feature music like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra or even the "Gangnam Style" hit with all the light activity coordinated with the music--spectacular I will admit,  but I am glad that not everything is hooked up to a computer.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment