Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The General Store

 

 

     Took a ride to Wheaton Village in Millville, NJ with my friend.  I love the player piano in the General Store.  For a quarter the piano started up with "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" melody.  We skipped the Museum tour but checked out the other shops:  the Brownstone Emporium, the Christmas Shop, and the Paperweight Shop. I had my new Sony Bloggie Touch and my son warned me to hold the camera horizontally but I forgot and here is my first video:





 

 

 



 

  I remember a penny store candy shop across the street from my elementary school in Hammonton, NJ.  I was a tiny girl with no strong desire to push my way to the front of the line so I was usually last to get served.  And even though I am not a huge fan of candy today, I used to go for some of these old-fashion favorites like Maryjanes, Peanut Chews, banana flavored taffy bats, and sometimes the candy cigarettes but never those candy dots on paper or that sickening liquid in waxy little bottles! 

 

 

This shows a mannerly group of kids.  Back in the day it was a lady with a house dress and apron that waited on the kids that were bullies as I remember it.


 


 

 

 
 
 

 


 

 So sorry that I did not pick up a few eyeballs at the bargain price of two dollars!

 
 


     After leaving the General Store we visited the other shops where you could spend thousands of dollars on artistic creations.  Christmas shopping in these shops was truly a unique experience featuring some South Jersey artists.



 





 

 

Anyone want to empty their wallet for a gift for me?


 

 











 

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment