Sunday, February 22, 2015

Flora and Fauna in Florida

This is my fourth year visiting with my daughter down in Palm Beach Gardens.  While I would be happy to visit a few over grown ditches in the area my daughter makes sure that we visit the many public parks in the area.   I am sure we have walked miles on these excursions and visited water areas but I have yet to see an alligator up close anywhere. Also I would have enjoyed seeing snail kites which are predatory birds that feed on indigenous snails but invasive snail species are making it difficult for this Florida native bird.   It is good to see that people have been quite generous with their donations to have these protected areas for wildlife and unique vegetation.  Often there are long trails with wooden walk ways and covered observation decks. My daughter lives on a golf course and her backyard has large pond.  I got my best photos right there on the bank of this pond just a few steps from her backyard.  My first photo op was when I accompanied my grandson on a fishing trip. I did not drive much while down there but I did get to drive my grandson to the bait shop for worms. A spot about a mile from his home next to the Publix food store is perfect for fishing.   It wasn't long until my grandson landed a large mouth bass ---small mouth?  I got some great shots.  Then I even set the timer on my camera and ran to capture us both in a shot.














This is my youngest grandchild lucky enough to have her own little nature preserve in the backyard:

I went to so many places.  I am having trouble remembering where I saw the sandhill cranes.  They hardly move when you drive by and it is likely that they might visit residential areas.






Young bougainvillea plants being trained to grow on a wall at a shopping outlet mall:



















This heron was a frequent visitor at the pond on the golf course so I have several photos of this unique heron.  Possibly what is known as a tri-colored heron:




Bromelaids:





 Spanish Moss is an air plant related to the pineapple: 



I enjoyed my nature walks in the neighborhood with my granddaughter showing me the way:

Cormorants frequently can be found with their wings extended:

Not my photo and it had to cropped quite a bit to see that another pond visitor was none other than a Bald Eagle:



No comments:

Post a Comment