Saturday, October 8, 2011

The South Jersey Pumpkin Show Festival

  Just was too nice of a fall day to stay home and this festival is just one straight drive of about 5 miles from my home.  Brings up sentimental memories because it was held at the 4-H grounds in South Egg Harbor.  Just recently got rid of some of my blue ribbons that I received. For the most part,  I got them for sewing crafts.  Also, it was there that I once made a presentation on salad making. There was a question period afterwards.  The head of the 4-H asked me something about garnishing a salad and I used the word  "lousy".  Something to the effect--Well, the salad might be "lousy" but if it looks nice someone may at least want to taste it.  I then I got a lecture on the origins of the word "lousy".
  The festival was your typical craft show with an extra emphasis on home improvements:  bath fitters, granite counter tops, gutter guards, solar energy panels, and reps from Lowes and Home Depot.   Also, there were various pumpkin contests on the agenda.


http://www.sjpumpkinshow.com/


  We enjoyed the band called Ten Eddy Drive. It is a rock & roll cover band from South Jersey, although the members hail from all over the state from Highlands to Wildwood. They play music that spans generations, from Buddy Holly, Elvis & Johnny Cash to Matchbox Twenty and Cee Lo Green.  My video wouldn't load :(

 Near by there is a salvage yard for metals and old cars.  I took a photo of the line-up of Mack trucks.  There really were about ten of these bad boys.

 Also, we went around the block to see what this woman was harvesting in a weedy field.  It was in an area in South Egg Harbor where there used to be quite a few black farmers.  About thirty years ago, I remember mules were used to plow the fields.  Well, as we came around, we could see a black woman with her cotton printed house dress being used to help her carry out the freshly picked collard greens.  I think she even had a bandanna wrapped around her head in the typical fashion.  She was happy and even gave us a smile as we rode by.  She would have made one of my best photos ever if I were brave enough to ask her permission to take her photo.


 Here's a photo that somewhat matches my memory except I remember at least two mules yoked together:

No comments:

Post a Comment