Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Serene Welcome to 2014

     Although I had an enjoyable evening celebrating New Year's Eve with friends, I also enjoyed taking a trip on one of my favorite routes in New Jersey on New Years Day.

 

Rose the cat looks out on the first day of 2014 before I leave with my camera. 

 

 

     The route that I take is 563 through the pinelands. Someone recently reported seeing a great blue heron at the Egg Harbor City Lake so that was my first stop at less than a mile from my home. The map traces the route I took.  I was hoping to see wild turkeys but I did not see them at the usual spot near Evans Bridge.  In fact I am beginning to think that turkeys might have run into a bad spell recently.  There are a few sites that I would always see them and I have not seen them since early November.  Several vehicles were parked at Evan's Bridge.  Were they out canoeing?  I guess the little tributaries were ice free but most places had some ice.  My photos are in no particular order but all are from along this route.

 
 
  

From the north shore at the Egg Harbor City Lake:

 
 

     Heading north this was on the left side of the lake.  When the wind died down and the sun was shining on the lake edge I thought I was hearing frogs.  I have to research that one to see if that was a possibility:

 
 
 
 
 
 

 I know this one was not at the lake because I see a pump house on the far shore.  So this is a photo of a cranberry bog up 563 in Jenkins, NJ:

 

 

At a cranberry bog showing a few remnant berries at the edge: 

 
 

Even out in the pines you need to be bilingual in your "Keep Out" signs:

The bog with skim ice:


 

 

 

Telephoto shot of the houses as I crossed the Green Bank Bridge:


 

 

Leaving the Green Bank Bridge on the way back home.  I used special effects on this one:

 


 

 

 

Notice the brine lines on the road.  This is a county road so it gets extra attention for safety:


 

 


 

 

This hardy bunch is not going to be stopped by frigid weather.  Route 563 is a biker's favorite.  Every year an increasingly larger number of bikers ignore the cold.  My sister at 64 recently went for a ride and she admits the cold reduces your reaction time.  She quit dancing because of her knees but said this sport is not bad for her knees so I guess that is why she keeps on biking:



 

 Have a great 2014!

 

Green Bank and Lower Bank info:

 

http://www.nj.com/inside-jersey/index.ssf/special_reports/hidden_jersey_lower_bank_and_green_bank.html

 

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/about



 


 


 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment