Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Zippee! Little Zippered Pouches

    I have never really abandoned my interest in sewing, embroidery, crochet and knitting since I was about age nine. The amount of time that I have put into my sewing crafts had dwindled during my 34 years of employment but now that I have retired and I am happy to return to these activities. During my childhood, I belonged to two youth groups: the Campfire Girls and the 4-H Clubs.  Both clubs encouraged girls in their sewing skills.  Also in the town where I grew up many women worked in local clothing factories so there were many talented seamstresses around including my mother and my grandmother.  There was no limit to their abilities and my mother would make us clothes and at  Easter, my sister and I had new handmade spring coats.  My abilities never rose to their level of talent but in the early years of my marriage I made slack outfits and dresses to save money.  Also because I was short, I was always altering my clothing anyway so it was a benefit to make outfits that were tailored for me.  

 

      The internet now is playing a huge role in driving my leisure activities.  If you have forgotten what a treble crochet is, just do a search on You Tube.   Sites like Pinterest  inspire you to explore all manner of crafty ideas.  I find it amazing that there are so many blogs with free step by step tutorials to help anyone looking for "Do It Yourself" ideas.  If you have a talent you can share it just for the joy of it on Wiki-How and so many other similar sites.  "How To" blogs for crafts, sewing and cooking have huge followings.   If you are a talented stay-at-home mom, I would be trying to make a little extra cash---who knows it might grow into something big.  I have no fantasy of developing a following like that so I make my blogs mostly for my own enjoyment and if I get a few views I am thrilled. 

 

   I remember reading in grade school a description of early American girl's calico dress.  I have been a fan of calico ever since.  I love printed cotton fabrics if I had more patience I would have started quilting for a hobby just to work with the colorful fabrics.  Since I seem to have senior attention deficit, I have been sticking with quick projects in the past year.  I have made needle books with a blanket stitch edge, ruffled scarves with the Sashay ribbon yarn, and now I am making lined zippered pouches.  I bought zippers by the "lot" on Ebay, quilt square packs and found several videos and PDF files that give you fool-proof directions. 

 

  I have a Kenmore sewing machine but recently came across three vintage sewing machines that I just had to have.  Two of them are still quite serviceable and one I bought just because of the golden decals.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment