Friday, June 10, 2011

Tuckerton, New Jersey

   Tuckerton, New Jersey was founded in 1699.  It is not Cape May, but the quaint seaport holds a lot of charm for me.   Also, I have fond memories of the fifties traveling here during the summer for a day of crabbing with my grandparents.  I guess it was the next day or possibly that evening we cooked them up and had crabs and spaghetti. This may not appeal to everyone, but we used to de-claw the crabs and take the shells off before cooking them.   We hosed the green pasty stuff in the middle out. Then you just had the sweet white crab meat.  One story that we still remember is when our Uncle Billy, only about ten years older than I am, pulled a prank.  Sometimes my sister would pick the crab meat out and not eat it right away and accumulate a little pile.  Well, when she wasn't looking he stole my sister's pile.   Couldn't really blame him because picking crabs is a bit tedious.
    Today besides crabbing you can visit the Tuckerton Seaport and Museum, which is dedicated to preserving the historical significance of the area. So today my friends and I visited and we had lunch at ScoJo's.






 Cranberry plants in bloom with a blue dragonfly:

No comments:

Post a Comment