Monday, June 27, 2011

Bluebirds and Indigenous Plants


 Just went around and took shots of the vegetation that was once a part of the surrounding pinelands here. So there are some that still find the conditions right in my yard.  The two that are gone are the wild magnolias that like it quite wet and the sheeps laurel that grew on the border of my yard.  It fell victim to the development when they made the road in the back of my home.

Hmm-mm--just two fungi or this is fungus:



My granddaughter decorated this birdhouse.  What a surprise when I found five bluebird eggs had been laid in the box.




The male blue bird entering the birdhouse:



Female bluebird is lucky to have the help of the male.







Liatris, blazing star, or gay feather as you like.  This is the cultivated variety but it is found by the roadside in New Jersey.  Grandfather used to raise these in Hammonton when he retired.  He would send them to the
market in New York City. .




 I will edit the post when I identify this handsome butterfly:



 Yucca




 Wild Blueberries


 White Cedar



 Sassafras--I let it grow because the deer like the young shoots.




 Ok, so not everything in my yard is indigenous:



Dogwood seedling



 Typical Pine in South Jersey


 Painted Lady but less than perfect:


Typical Tiger Lilies--they only bloomed this year because I faithfully used "Liquid Fence" to keep the deer away.  Why do they seem to leave the roadside lilies alone??


No comments:

Post a Comment