Friday, July 1, 2011

Recycling a Concrete Planter--Saved $150 bucks!!

  I should keep a camera handy at all times because this story would be much more interesting if I had all the the details documented by a photo.  So I just have to tell you that I took a walk on the gravel terrace behind my house.  Yeah, they are promising 300 homes will be built in the pine lands near my home that is still in a rather woodsy area.  Will my taxes go down or hold steady because of this development?    They are promising great things for our community--don't let me get started on what I think about that!

   So---I was walking and in the woods I found a pile of broken paver stones, some bricks and a cracked concrete planter.  The half inch crack went from the top down to near the bottom.  So my first instinct was to crack it further into pieces with the intention of using the pieces in the rock garden.  I couldn't break the thing so I went home and got the car and rolled it down the little hill to my car door where I only had to lift it about five inches to put it in the car.  When I got home, I rolled the thing to the front of my garage and then hit it with a hammer and it still was too strong to break.  Then it dawned on me to get the cement grout in a tub and repair the crack and so I did and then spray painted it white.  It is a classic design so I went on Google and searched for "concrete planter grapes" and to my surprise this must be a classic design because identical images came up and the first one that I checked out had a price of $152 before tax and shipping! Happy Fourth of July to all those
penny-pinchers out there.  By the way I will go back and get those bricks and broken pavers, too.






No comments:

Post a Comment