Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tired Old Sunflower

   I usually have a sunflower near my porch.  I keep feeders near the porch in the winter and some of the left-overs sprout and I let them grow if they are in a favorable spot such as this one. It was a special spot because the huge head on this one it is now leaning on the railing supports. Soon I will have goldfinch feeding on this one and I am surprised that none have feasted yet.  In years past I used to catch Roy in the photo sitting on the step enjoying the summer evening.


What a treat for the goldfinch:





Tired Old Sunflower:


 

  This year I have noticed hundreds of little frogs in the yard.  They are only out done by the huge numbers of crickets.  I will have to research and see if crickets "play dead" as a defense maneuver.  I lifted a box and at least fifty crickets were hopping away. One just popped over and "froze" without kicking or trying to make a get-away but after about 30 seconds turned over and escaped. Didn't take pictures of the crickets but here are shots of a little frog (barely two cm in length).  My hand has paint all over because I painted my newly updated bathroom.  I will post pictures another day of my bathroom.  I wish I had a macro lens. That is on my bucket list of purchases even if it comes with a new camera.

A frog in hand in worth two in a ..... never mind:






Also, I found a cicada shell and a pupa attached to the back door.




No comments:

Post a Comment