Monday, May 30, 2011

No Strawberries for Me!



 I tried my best but I lost out again.  In years past the deer would eat all the strawberry plants.  So this year I was ready with an ample supply of  "Liquid Fence" and a good amount of fertilizer and my hopes were up for a small crop.  This stuff really works but you have to reapply it if it rains.  Well, I made the mistake of eating one of the first fruits.  I had to spit it out immediately because even though I only sprayed some of the outer leaves,  some of that concoction got on the fruit.  It has putrified eggs and garlic ingredients.    Then a couple of days ago a guy stopped and helped a box turtle to cross the road as it headed into my yard.  I certainly was happy about that but tonight I decided to check out if there might be a few berries for me because I was still having trouble with birds pecking into the fruits.  Well, I caught a box turtle snapping up the red berries.  At least he ate the whole thing in contrast to those wasteful pecks!

No comments:

Post a Comment